Cyber Security & IT Professional
Highly-skilled and diverse cyber security minded team leader / systems administrator / web developer & digital marketer offering over 20 years of professional experience in a wide variety of technical and leadership roles. A dedicated employee and proven leader that specializes in cyber security and cloud based solutions, Linux, MacOS and Windows-based environments. Demonstrates continual proficiency for maintaining optimal performance while utilizing extensive knowledge of system operations to implement process improvements. Seeking to make an immediate contribution in a challenging new environment and maintain a reputation based on creativity, professionalism, and uncompromising ethics. Recently achieved certification in Cyber Security Fundamentals as well as Advanced Cyber Security at York University School of Continuing Studies.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Automation using Ansible and Terraform in various on-prem and cloud based environments.
- Experienced with Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS, Alpine, Kali and other Linux variants, as well as MacOS and Windows-based environments.
- Web hosting technologies, Nginx, Apache, HAProxy, PHP-FPM, MariaDB/MySQL, TLS/SSL, BiND
- Container technologies Podman / Docker, LXD / LXC.
- Cyber security.
- Proficient in vulnerability and risk assessment.
- Security scanning, penetration testing using NMap, Metasploit, BurpSuite, ZAP, proxy chaining.
- Vulnerability remediation and patch management.
- Up to date on OWASP and various NIST and ISO publications and standards pertaining to cyber security.
- Advocate of cyber security training and awareness programs.
Keeping up with technology and current cyber security threats and trends. Teaching my daughters to play guitar and getting in a little practice time myself. Hitting dingers on the softball diamond and “geeking out” with friends over the latest games, consoles, devices and music. Adventerous bike rides or a round of golf with my son and sharing all of this as well as ejoying every last free moment we can find with my amazing wife.
Bell Canada - Contractor for Automation SME
November 2021 - Present
- Develop CI / CD pipelines using Red Hat OpenShift and Google Cloud Build.
- Automated firewall scanning solutions for GCP using NMAP.
- Work with the portal development team to automate self service resource deployments.
- Provide production support for the Ansible Automation Platform.
- Work with various networking, operations teams and cloud architects to develop, secure and deploy Google Cloud Platform resources.
- Implement code linting, validation and analysis tools for secure Infrastructure as Code with Terraform.
- Developed a web based front-door application for onboarding new organizational units to Ansible Automaion Platform.
Doug Clarke - Cyber Security & IT Contractor
2019 - November 2021
- Cyber security, vulnerability assessments and remediation solutions.
- Business continuity and disaster recovery planning.
- Security scanning and penetration testing with tools such as Snyk, ZAP and Metasploit.
- Custom built infrastructure and security implementations to provide enterprise grade business features using AWS Cloud, DigitalOcean, Google Cloud.
- Containerized applications using Alpine Linux or RedHat UBI.
- CI / CD workflows using custom scripts, git and GitHub actions.
- Automation solutions using Ansible, BASH|ASH|ZSH, PHP, Node and Python.
- Custom Laravel PHP / VueJS application and web development.
- Caching systems to improve response times using Redis.
- Customized WordPress, WooCommerce e-commerce platforms.
- Digital marketing automation with SendInBlue, SendGrid, Mail Chimp.
- IT operations and management consulting.
Instant Marketing Systems - IT Director / Manager
2007 - DECEMBER 2018
- Managed the confluence of marketing & sales teams, design teams, project managers, quality assurance and client services.
- Technical design and implementation of multi-channel, multi-step automated digital marketing systems and campaigns for various clients of various niche markets.
- Performed various performance, compliance and best practice audits on customer websites.
- Deploy and maintain commercial PHP Wordpress based websites and e-commerce solutions with development / staging / production environments using Ubuntu / Debian VPS hosted with DIgitalOcean.
- Designed development infrastructure pipeline using Vagrant on VirtualBox.
- Built and maintained a Linux based SSH bastion host to secure access to the infrastructure.
- Deployed and maintained all of the businesses core, commercial, development and custom Linux VPS hosting systems. Including MariaDB/MySQL database servers, Nginx web and proxy servers, and various open source CRM solutions such as SugarCRM
- Developed and maintained a custom built client management and marketing solution using PHP, NodeJS and integrating several web APIs for extended functionality.
- Bind DNS, iptables based firewalls and file and database backup management for the business and the client systems.
- Managed bare-metal systems hosted on CentOS with IBM SoftLayer and eventually performed a migration to Ubuntu DigitalOcean Cloud VPS systems resulting in tripling the capacity at a fraction of the operational cost (OPEX).
- Setup and administered the company e-mail and cloud infrastructure including RingCentral phone system, Google Apps for Business (G-Suite), Authorized Google Business G-Suite Reseller and Google Cloud accounts for business development using Google Apps APIs.
- Worked with several marketing, messaging and automation platforms such as IFTTT, Zapier, InfusionSoft, SendInBlue, AWeber, Constant Contact, MailChimp and many more.
- Received official InfusionSoft training at InfusionSoft University Course in Toronto, 2015.
Noizex - IT Contractor / Freelance
2004 - 2006
- Backend development: PHP, and ColdFusion.
- E-mail campaign design and implementation solutions.
- Provide LAMP web and e-mail hosting services on dedicated systems: RedHat, Apache, MySQL, PHP and Exim.
Infinet Communications - System Administrator
- Built RedHat Linux web servers and deployed the hardware at the Q9 data center in Toronto.
- Deployed development projects and worked with QA teams to ensure project stability.
- Performing maintenance of Apache web servers, sendmail SMTP servers
Look Communications - Network Security & Abuse Manager
2001 - 2003
- Managed an ISP network security, abuse and extended support team with employees providing 24 / 7 / 365 abuse monitoring and e-mail support from multiple locations around the Greater Toronto Area.
- Worked with call center managers in the head office to provide efficient, effective and timely support solutions.
- Utilize access to various core Cisco and 3Com routers, Bridgewater radius / authentication and Linux log servers to manage system abuse issues.
- Work with the internal legal department and the RCMP to obtain information in regards to severe network abuse issues.
- Liaison with the RCMP on their investigation of Mafiaboy.
Internet Direct - Technical Support Specialist
- Senior e-mail technical support team.
- Senior residential technical phone support covering dial up Internet support, e-mail, newsgroup and proxy configurations and IRC related issues.
- Corporate technical phone support covering ISDN / network connection issues, commercial website / e-mail hosting issues.
York University School of Continuing Studies
- Cyber Security Fundamentals
- Advanced Cyber Security
York University School of Continuing Studies 2019 - 2020
- Cyber Security CSCY 1000-1050
Recently completed courses:
- VMWare NSX-T Fundamentals
- Mastering Terraform
- AWS Security Essentials
- NMAP vulnerability scanning and penetration testing
- Linux kernel tuning
Sinclair Secondary School 1998
- OSSD Graduate
- OSSD Business Diploma